I can tell from years of experience working as a makeup artist/technician, eyelash extensions can be uncomfortable when they are applied too tightly to the natural lashes. This can cause them to feel crunchy, and even start to pull on the natural lash.
So, Yes crunchy feeling is usually a sign that your extensions have been applied too tightly and are pulling on the natural lash. However, there could be more to why your eyelash extension feels crunchy and in this article, I will explain and explain how to fix it.
Why Do My Eyelash Extensions Feel Crunchy
Let me put this straight before discussing it in detail
Generally, your eyelash extension will feel crunchy if it is not fixed right, or if you have been poorly maintaining it. These two reasons are the major cause behind the crunchy feel.
However, sometimes there could be more to it, so here are other possible but less often reasons why you may experience this feeling:
- The glue is too old: The glue that is used to apply the extensions dries out after 4-6 weeks. This can cause the extensions to feel crunchy when you blink or rub your eyes.
- You have oily skin: If you have oily skin, it can also cause the extensions to feel crunchy because of all of the oil on your face.
- You’re not wearing mascara: If you don’t wear mascara or any other makeup on your eyelashes then it will be harder for them to stay curled and this can cause them to feel crunchy as well.
- You’re using lash curlers: When using lash curlers, if they are too tight then this can cause lashes that have extensions on them, to feel crunchy as well.
- You’re not cleansing your face: If you don’t clean your face as often it can cause oil (which is what makes your lashes look longer) to build up on the lashes over time, which can cause them to become crunchy.
- You’re not using a water-based makeup remover: If you don’t remove your makeup with a water-based makeup remover, then it will be harder for the oil to come off of your lashes and this can cause them to become crunchy.
All these reasons I have mentioned so far if you notice are things that can be avoided easily if the right precaution is taken. As for me, even though I know sometimes mistakes are inevitable, I always have a checklist to make sure I carry out all things appropriately when attending to my clients. There is no greater joy than getting the job done right and fulling the expectation of your client.
3 Untold Reasons Why People Wear Eyelash Extension
Eyelash extensions are not just for beauty. They also provide a number of health benefits including boosting your confidence, eliminating the need for mascara, and increasing the thickness of your lashes.
However, here are some untold reasons why people fix lashes
- Eyelash extensions boost confidence:
Eyelash extension make it easier for people to achieve the perfect look without having to worry about smudging mascara or having raccoon eyes in the morning.
- Eyelashes extensions eliminate the need for mascara:
Women who wear eyelash extension don’t have to worry about getting smudges on their clothes or makeup because they don’t wear any at all! And if they do get a smudge, they can just wet their lashes and start over.
- Eyelash extensions reduce the amount of eyelashes lost:
When a woman has her eyebrows waxed, her eyebrow hairs are pulled out. The more she tweezes, the more her eyebrow hairs are pulled out.
Over time this can lead to thinned-out eyebrows or completely bare spots on the brows. With an eyelash extension, there’s no need to worry about plucking or waxing.
How to Fix Crunchy Eyelash Extensions
One way to fix crunchy eyelash extensions is to use a heat source. The best heat sources for this purpose are a blow dryer and hair straightener.
To use a blow dryer, turn it on and put it close to the extensions. Move the hair dryer back and forth in front of the extensions until they are soft again.
To use a hair straightener, turn it on and put it close to the extensions. Keep moving the hair straightener back and forth in front of the extension until they are soft again.
Another way to fix crunchy eyelash extensions is to use a hot curler. The best hair curlers for this purpose are ionic or ceramic hair straighteners.
Ionic or Ceramic Hair Straightener:
To use an ionic or ceramic hair straightener, take it close to the extensions and push the button up while moving it back and forth in front of them. Keep going until they are soft again.
On The Blog
How Do You Keep Eyelash Extensions Soft?
Eyelash extensions are semi-permanent and can last anywhere from 4-6 weeks. But, with all the love and care you give them, they still need to be taken care of properly.
It is important to keep your eyelash extensions soft below, are the top 5 ways I use and that is what I usually advise my clients to do as well.
- Use lash conditioner 3 times a week.
- Use eyelash and brow mascara on a daily basis.
- Make sure to wash your face with soap and water at night before you go to bed.
- Do not put oil or use other eye creams on your lashes- these will clog them.
- Apply Vaseline to the base of each lash while they are wet so that they dry smoothly and are free of brittle ends.
These tips are easy-to-follow tips, you can easily make them part of your daily makeup routine.
How Can You Tell if Eyelash Extensions Are Still Good?
It is important to know about the quality of eyelash extensions before you decide to get them. There are a few things you can do to tell if they are still good and worth investing in.
- Check the color: If the extensions have turned a dark brown or black color, it is time for a new set.
- Look for damage: Damaged extensions will have clumps of lashes, dry ends, and a loss of curl.
- The glue should not be visible on the lash band: If it is, that means that the glue has dried out or started to come off with time and use and it is time for a new set of lashes as well.
Lashes are one of the most important features of your face, they frame your eyes and make them pop. When you get eyelash extensions done at an experienced salon, you’ll be able to enjoy all these benefits without any side effects or risks.
In this article, I have discussed all of why do eyelash extensions feel crunchy, I also discussed how to fix them. Now that you have learned, I will love to hear from you, you can also put questions through to me via the comments section.